Rail Road Spike Knife Class
Rail Road Spike Knife Making Class
(Please note if a class date says out of stock then it is FULL and sold out, also if the date you would like is full or there are no spots left and/or you would like to gift this class to someone special, please consider a gift certificate for a future class, this is also the way to pre-register for an upcoming class to insure that you secure a spot since these do sell out very fast!!) Click the link below for a gift certificate for this class: https://ihknives.com/products/rail-road-spike-knife-making-class-gift-certificate
Have you seen and better yet, wanted to make your very own Rail Road Spike Knife? Well here it is…….This introductory knife making class is a one day, fundamental class teaching you the art of moving metal and grinding out your edge. Our Knife Academe Knife Making Class is by far our most popular class and is very difficult to get into as well as a very intense class. For those of you that want to get into the forge, don’t want to wait for a knife class and really want to learn the method of the hammer strike and the techniques of drawing out steel this class is certainly for you.
What you will learn:
- Shop Safety (First and Foremost a safe class is priority no.1)
- Smithy basics (the forge, the anvil, the hammer and tongs)
- How to use tongs, hammer control, parts of an anvil and their uses and how to bend metal
- Basic Knife Design
- Proper hammer technique on how it relates to moving metal
- How and when to temper your blade
- How to grind bevels into your knife
- Sharpening and proper maintenance on your new knife
What is provided:
- All materials and tools will be provided
- Full use of the Indy Forge – A 3000 sqft open access forge (the largest and only one of its kind in the State of Indiana)
- Old World Anvils, Hammers, Tongs and Forges
- Multiple works stations for each student to have their own workspace
- Small Class Size – 4 students per class
- 10:00a.m. EST – 3:00p.m. EST
What you will make:
- A beautiful and functional knife made from a real rail road spike (sheath is also included)
- You must be 18 y/o to attend the class. If you are 14 y/o and up, you must be accompanied by a parent or guardian
- Appropriate footwear is required and will be checked at the beginning of the class (full ankle shoes, preferably leather boots if possible)
- All students are encouraged to wear pants, jeans or canvas
- Please bring snacks and any drinks that you may want to keep yourself hydrated as well as fueled for the day!
Special Note: If you like what you see but want to see more, please visit our Facebook page to see all the previous students in action https://www.facebook.com/IndyHammered
Meticulous planning goes into making out our class schedules so that every single class is exceptional. No refunds will be given for cancelations.
Robert S. –
Another great class at Indy Forge. This was my third class. And again my expectations were exceeded. Eds teaching was as good as his blacksmithing skills. And he is a awesome blacksmith. He explained every step and then demonstrated how to do it. Came home with a blister, sore arm, and a cool r r spike knife. What a great day at Indy Forge. If you want to learn how to move metal Ed is your guys and Indy Forge is the place.
Devon M. –
Railroad spike knife class
Ed was a great teacher and I had an amazing day and made a knife I was very proud of. Learning to move and shape the metal was probably the best part.