Mace - Bear Repellant
Mace - Deter the Unwanted!
17% Oleoresin Capsicum ranks among the best oc sprays you can find.
Police Magnum pepper sprays are designed for Law Enforcement Use
So It Works!!!!!
- OC-17 Police Strength OC Oleoresin Capsicum Solution, Non-Toxic, Non-Flammable
- Safety Top to Reduce Accidental Discharge
- Several Sizes To Choose From
- Made in the USA
Mace is a very effective deterrent when used properly. In a 2008 review of bear attacks in Alaska from 1985–2006, Smith et al. found that Mace stopped a bear's "undesirable behavior" in 92% of cases. Further, 98% of persons using bear spray in close-range encounters escaped uninjured.
A 2008 "Efficacy of Mace as a Bear Deterrent Spray in Alaska" study stated:
- "Red pepper spray stopped bears’ undesirable behavior 92% of the time when used on brown bears, 90% for black bears, and 100% for polar bears.
- Of all persons carrying sprays, 98% were uninjured by bears in close-range encounters.
- All bear-inflicted injuries (n = 3) associated with defensive spraying involved brown bears and were relatively minor (i.e., no hospitalization required).
- In 7% (5 of 71) of bear spray incidents, wind was reported to have interfered with spray accuracy, although it reached the bear in all cases.
- In 14% (10 of 71) of bear spray incidents, users reported the spray having had negative side effects upon themselves, ranging from minor irritation (11%, 8 of 71) to near incapacitation (3%, 2 of 71).
- Bear spray represents an effective alternative to lethal force and should be considered as an option for personal safety for those recreating and working in bear country.